Cumbrian firms urged to start investing
Last updated at 14:28, Friday, 03 January 2014
Businesses in Cumbria are being urged to invest now if they are to reap the benefits of economic recovery in 2014.
Mike Mullaney, area director for Cumbria and the North East in the mid-markets team at Lloyds Bank Commercial Banking, believes that some firms are still cautiously sitting on cash.
He said: “Confidence among businesses in Cumbria is unquestionably growing, supported by improving conditions in employment, the manufacturing and services sectors, and the broader economy.
“However, we are currently looking at a trend of around nine per cent growth in cash deposits on balance with us nationally, which shows that cash is still on balance sheets and not yet beginning to be invested.”
He believes that many businesses will have to change strategy in 2014.
He said: “Until recently, finance director and treasurers’ strategies were focused on conserving cash and managing expenditure in the downturn. Now they need to focus on expansion and preparing for growth to take advantage of recovery opportunities in 2014. That’s a big change for many.”
He added: “We expect the level of corporate investment in Cumbria to gradually increase throughout 2014.
“The rate of this expansion for individual businesses, however, will depend on them preparing for growth now, both in terms of their business strategy and financing position.”
First published at 13:49, Friday, 03 January 2014
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (130 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)