Cumbrian building firms warned over VAT sting
Last updated at 16:57, Thursday, 05 April 2012
Construction firms who work on listed buildings are being warned of a new pasty-style VAT sting.
From October, the Government is removing the VAT exemption on alterations to listed buildings.
The move was revealed in Chancellor George Osborne’s Budget alongside the removal of VAT exemptions for hot food takeaway food like pies and pasties.
Dodd & Co, the Carlisle chartered accountancy, is warning builders of the new rules.
A statement read: “The press jumped on the pasty VAT change, but there is another change which will affect the construction industry. The Chancellor plans to remove the VAT exemption for alterations to listed buildings from October 1.
“If you have a job on a listed building where the contract had been signed before March 21, the day of the Budget, the exemption could be honoured.
“But if you have a listed building job, but no signed contract, it is worth getting it pushed through and billed by October 1 to keep the cost to the customer down.”
First published at 14:22, Thursday, 05 April 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (24 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Police confirm body found during search was missing pensioner
- Edinburgh Woollen Mill boss loses fight to clear his name
- Carlisle pensioner charged with child and animal pornography offences
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle Utd legend’s heartbreak at daughter’s mystery death
- What’s in store as Paris comes to Carlisle at old Hoopers' site