Carlisle business park owner on new rich list
Last updated at 15:32, Friday, 07 December 2012
Kingmoor Park owner Brian Scowcroft and his sister Janet Lefton figure in a new list of the richest people in real estate.
The pair are 114th in the 2012 Estates Gazette Rich List with an estimated fortune of £162 million.
Mr Scowcroft set up Kingmoor Park industrial estate on the site of the former RAF Carlisle 14MU in 1999 in a joint venture with Carlisle City and Cumbria County councils. He subsequently bought them out.
He has raised a huge amount for charity and is a joint sponsor of the city’s Richard Rose academy schools.
The magazine says: “Scowcroft’s Kingmoor Park Properties operation saw its net assets rise in 2010-11 to £21.4m.
“He has ploughed around £7m of his own money into the site outside Carlisle, helping create more than 1,300 jobs.
“Before his property work, Scowcroft was boss of Swinton Insurance, started by his father in 1957.
“By the early 1990s, the Scowcroft family had made around £150m from the sale of the business.
“Lefton, his sister, runs BI Properties and Scowcroft has interests in a bottled water operation [Willow Water] in Morecambe Bay. Scowcroft is a sponsor of Carlisle’s fast-improving Richard Rose Academy.
“We can see £29m net assets in the family companies. In all, the family is worth £162m after tax.”
The Estates Gazette Rich List, now in its 10th year, shows that the 250 richest people in real estate have assets totalling £100.8bn.
It is the first time the combined fortune of the top 250 has broken the £100bn barrier.
First published at 15:30, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (127 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (32 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)