X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 30 August 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Boy gets one of Cumbria’s longest Asbos

 Khristian Kewin:  Order

By Gemma Fraser

A THIRTEEN-year-old Maryport boy has been made the subject of a five-year anti-social behaviour order – one of the longest Asbos made in Cumbria.

Khristian Kewin, of Grasmere Terrace, was accused of being verbally and racially abusive, damaging properties and setting fire to cars and hedges.

The Asbo was brought by Derwent and Solway housing association after residents in the Grasmere Terrace area complained about his anti-social behaviour.

The incidents are said to have taken place between May and October last year.

The teenager received an interim Asbo in November but yesterday magistrates decided to make the order permanent until Khristian’s 18th birthday.

Tim Frost, who represented Khristian, told magistrates that his behaviour had improved since the interim order was made.

Under the terms of the five-year Asbo, the youngster is prohibited from using threatening, violent or abusive behaviour or language; damaging or threatening to damage property; and engaging in any behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Derwent and Solway worked with police for four months gathering evidence for the Asbo, although it is the first to be brought about solely by the housing association.

Community safety manager Cathy Bennett, said: “We have a clear responsibility to all our residents to provide a safe and peaceful environment and I hope that this outcome sends a clear message to everyone that such behaviour will not be tolerated.”

Police community support officer Leesa Heron added: “This sends out a positive message that those in Maryport who conduct themselves in disorder will be dealt with accordingly.”

Whitehaven schoolboy Jordan Priestley became one of the youngest people in the country to be made the subject of an Asbo in 2002 after he threatened to stab a teacher in the head.

He was 12 at the time and had led a six-month reign of terror at Whitehaven school.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Vote

Should the Government shoulder the cost burden of getting all older teenagers to school?

Yes

No

Show Result

Hot jobs
Search for: