Blue Yonder make it hat-trick of Carlisle Sands Centre quiz wins
Last updated at 13:02, Monday, 21 January 2013
It was a hat-trick of victories for the winners of the biggest date on Cumbria’s quiz calendar.
Blue Yonder White Elephant, a four-member team from Carlisle, won the Sands Centre Quiz for the third time in a row last night.
They came away with a winning score of 238 out of 310 possible points from the four-hour event which included rounds on music, sport, films and general knowledge.
“I think we are going to be marked men,” said team member Matt Elliott, 29.
The others were his father, Alan Elliott, 56, girlfriend Louise Brown, 32, and family friend Ian McEwan, 55.
The three men work for BT, while Louise is an accountant.
Each of them won £100. Matt and Louise will be spending this on repair work to their car and put some aside for a trip to New York later this year.
The two senior member plan to spend their winnings on their wives.
Matt said: “You just need to have a good mixture on your team – you’ve got to have a woman.”
Alongside the cash, the team also won a trophy, which Alan will look after.
“I’m the only one who will clean it,” he said.
Along with Ian, he was in a team which took the first ever quiz prize.
More than 100 teams took part in the event.
Geoff Haugh, marking his 20th year as quizmaster, said the evening had gone well.
He added: “This is the 26th year and on Sunday, January 19, 2014 we are looking forward to seeing everybody again.”
The runners-up were decided following a tie-break.
The teams taking these positions were We’ve Got The Same Number of Tour De France Wins As Lance Armstrong and Halal Is It The Meat You’re Looking For.
First published at 12:04, Monday, 21 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Carlisle man reached 110mph on 19-mile police chase
- Tories choose their Workington candidate for General Election (15 comments)
- I was 'stitched up' on Channel 4 Come Dine With Me show, claims Carlisle man
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)