20-pint a night man went berserk in Cumbrian pub
Last updated at 11:53, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
A man who drinks 20 pints a night – and has the nickname Hazard – went on the rampage, terrorising staff and customers in his local pub.
A witness said Raymond Joseph Dixon, 45, of Meadow Road, Wigton, “flipped” in the Victoria Hotel in King Street, Wigton, on November 23 last year.
Carlisle Crown Court heard that Dixon’s mood changed after his partner accused him of “being out all the time” and “only thinking of himself”.
Prosecutor Alan Lovett said: “Dixon smashed a pint glass into his face which frightened one of the women who works there. She is 61 and about 4ft 10ins tall. There were about seven customers in the pub at the time.
“He picked up a bar stool and threw it at a metal wall light, causing it to shatter.
“The police were called.”
The court was told when police arrived, at about 10.50pm, Dixon was unsteady on his feet. He said he drank between 15 and 20 pints a night and having a verbal argument with his partner had caused him to “flip”.
Dixon, who pleaded guilty to affray and criminal damage, described himself as “hard as nails” and said he was “sorry for his actions”.
Greg Hoare, mitigating, said: “This was a disgraceful incident so far as the violence is concerned. It was completely out of character.”
Sentencing, Judge Paul Batty QC said: “For a man in his 40s you have an unimpressive record. It seems you are a professional drunkard and your nickname is Hazard which is appropriate for someone who drinks 15 to 20 pints a night.”
He imposed an eight-month prison sentence suspended for two years and ordered that Dixon, who works part-time as a car valeter, be electronically tagged for six months. He must stay indoors between 6pm and 7am. He must also pay £40 for damaging the light fitting.
First published at 11:36, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (18 comments)
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (14 comments)
- 'Knighton' in Twitter claims over Carlisle Utd (12 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)